Tuesday, June 30, 1959
- Bill Parsons, chief engineer for the Salisbury Parkway construction project, urged those living around the construction zone to exercise patience while the work continues. He said rainfall expected later this week should ease continued problems with blowing dirt and dust. The new parkway will bypass Main Street.
- Salisbury set a record high temperature for the date — 101 degrees. A 57-year-old Marvel Road woman, who had checked into a room at the Wicomico Hotel to escape the heat in her home, died of a heart attack in the hotel restaurant.
- R.E. Powell & Co. in Downtown Salisbury announced that William T. Hopkins will replace the retiring James Branch as chief buyer for the store. Hopkins, who lives on Taney Avenue with his wife, the former Alice Reed, has 10 years of local car sales experience but has previous experience in merchandising in Baltimore.
- Patricia Anne Taylor and Raymond P. Gillich were married by the Rt. Rev. Msgr. Eugene T. Stout in St. Francis de Sales Catholic Church. The bride was given away by her father, Lester C. Taylor. The bride is a graduate of the Peninsula General Hospital School of nursing; the groom is employed by the Federal Aviation Agency in Atlantic City.
- In her report on her stay in Salisbury, West German exchange student Eva Marie Langer said that Salisbury “is a wonderful little city, very clean and pretty.” She said her time in Salisbury was “a wonderful year with many friends.” The student observed that, unlike Germans, Americans “are not as reserved and stiff” and “are willing to compromise and try to please everybody.” She said she will miss “the abundance of dances and games and parties” in Salisbury. Her hosts were Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Roe of Oakdale Road.
- In socials news, Mr. and Mrs. Charles J. Potts of Pine Bluff Road, who recently purchased Pioneer Point, the Jackson Vander Bogard Farm on Wicomico Creek, announced they would spend part of their summer there.
Greg Bassett is editor and general manager of Salisbury Independent. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org