Today In Salisbury’s History: Sunday, June 6, 1948

Sunday, June 6, 1948 —

  • Six days of continuous rain have waterlogged fields and already done millions of dollars in damage to the Shore’s tomato crops. Ripened strawberries are rotting in the fields as pickers are unable to traverse the muddy conditions. The planting of cantaloupe, watermelon, corn and potatoes — major crops for the region — are now more than a week behind. Discovery this week of a light blight on potato and tomato vines in Worcester and Somerset have added to farmers tribulations. The forecast calls for continued rain over the next two days.
  • The Salisbury City Council has agreed to the city Sewerage and Incineration Commission’s proposal to build an incinerator on the city’s dump property off West Main Street and a sewer plant between Glenn Road and the Wicomico River. The city already has state approval to borrow $400,000 for the two projects, but City Engineer Clark Gardner said the total price would be between $600,000 and $700,000.
  • The Wicomico County Commissioners announced that Nanticoke High School will be closed forever when the school year ends. Nanticoke youngsters will be bused to schools in Salisbury. The breaking point came earlier this year when Whitehaven-area parents demanded their children have the option of attending schools in Salisbury.
  • Gov. William Preston Lane was the commencement speaker at Salisbury Teachers College. HE said teachers practicing their profession to the best of their abilities was key to Maryland success. Meanwhile, Maryland State College in Princess Anne had nine graduates in its 1948 Class.
  • All Wicomico County grammar school students were invited to attend for free to see the league-leading Salisbury Cardinals play and the second-place Milford Red Sox. The game was scheduled Sunday at 2 p.m. at the county’s Memorial Stadium. The likelihood that it would be canceled was high, as rainfall had disrupted all outdoor events for days.
  • Wi-Hi’s baseball team completed the season undefeated. Pitcher Norris Carey was considered a shoo-in for the Eastern Shore Senior High School All Star Team. Bill Pope and Joe Sallee were considered good prospects to also make the team.
  • At the Class of 1948  graduation, in a surprise announcement, Clarence H. Cordrey confirmed his retirement as Wi-Hi’s principal. With more than 40 years in education, the past seen of which at Wi-Hi, Cordrey was born on a farm near Hebron and held degrees from elite schools including St. John’s College, the University of Virginia, Columbia University and Johns Hopkins. When he arrived at Wi-Hi in 1941, the school had 18 teachers (compared to 36 at his retirement). As principal, he added a library with 8,000 volumes, a self-sufficient cafeteria, a school newspaper, and greatly improved the band and sports programs.
  • The movies playing in town: “Blondie’s Reward” was playing at the Boulevard, the Western “Panhandle” starring Rod Cameron and Cathy Downs was at the Ulman, “Man Of Evil” starring James Mason was at The New, “Naked City” starring Barry Fitzgerald was at the Wicomico.
  • Four officers were added to the city of Salisbury’s Police Department, bringing the force to its full complement of 15.
  • At Feldman’s Furniture, a three-piece living room set was $159. ($1,653 today).
  • Offering central air conditioning and great food, The English Grill was considered Salisbury’s best restaurant. The specials on June 6, 1948: Roast Young Turkey for $1.50, Jumbo softshell crabs for $1.50, Virginia Baked Ham for $1.50,  an Eastern Shore Platter of Ham, Turkey and Dressing for $1.75.
As your community newspaper, we are committed to making Salisbury a better place. You can help support our mission by making a voluntary contribution to the newspaper.
Facebook Comment