Today In Salisbury’s History: Tuesday, Nov. 7, 1967

Tuesday, Nov. 7, 1967 —

  • Salisbury officials were forced this week to answer a simple question: Who is the Mayor when the Mayor is gone? Mayor Dallas Truitt was out of the state for a week on business. According to City Charter, the City Executive Secretary takes the place of an absent Mayor. Col. Charles E. Leydecker was out of the country on vacation, however. Tradition would dictate that the City Council President, in this case W. Paul Martin Jr., would be Acting Mayor, but Martin was also out of town as part of his private job as a supermarket meat cutter. Next in line Councilman David F. Rodgers, who fills in at council meetings when Martin is absent. City Solicitor Walter C. Anderson said no issues have arisen in the last week that would require Rodgers to either act or make decisions. 
  • The latest cost for removing the eyesore power lines on Camden Street in Downtown Salisbury range from $150,000 to $200,000, according to estimates provided by Delmarva Power & Light Co. The Downtown Association wants the lines buried as soon as possible. DP&L officials said the cost could be reduced by about $50,000 if officials agree to leave transformers above the ground along the street that runs east to west, parallel to Lot 1.
  • In Local Happenings, it was reported that Charles Chipman of 127 Second St. was a surgical patient at Peninsula General Hospital; Mrs. Roger McJilton was hostess to her bridge club at her home in Silver Run; Mrs. John “Kitty” Althouse of Wicomico Street, a member of The Daily Times staff, was a surgical patient at PGH; Mrs. Manie Trader celebrated her 90th birthday at a party given at the John. B. Parsons Home; and Miss Nancy Hess, 17, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Stanley Hess of Woodland Road, was named homecoming queen of James M. Bennett Senior High School.
  • Two boys who were trying to catch fish in the Wicomico River were caught themselves — by the incoming tide. Jimmy Hill, 13, of South Boulevard, and Lary McCully, 14, of Somerset Avenue, walked out on a storm drain pipe off Riverside Drive to cast their lines. While they were there, tide covered a part of the pipe and they were unable to return to the shore. A passing police officer saw the boys and called the Fire Department, which dispatched the department’s outboard boat to fetch the teens.
  • The Hedges Family of Hayward Avenue is celebrating a remarkable occurrence. Mrs. Trudy Hedges gave birth this week to a baby girl, Shauna Dawn, who was born on the mother’s own birthday. The birthday is also the birthday of her grandmother, Mrs. George Ardis. Because Mrs. Hedges is a twin, she shares a birthday with her sister, Mrs. Ruth Gober. All that means that four women in the immediate family were born on the same date.
  • Culver Motor Co. of Salisbury has donated a new 1968 Oldsmobile Coupe to the Board of Education for use as a vehicle in the county’s Driver Education program. John H. Culver presented the car keys to Victor Keen, Transportation Supervisor for the school board. The driver program also has a car that was donated by Horner Motors. The cars are unique, in which they feature dual controls so instructors can take over if necessary.
  • Dr. Wilbur Devilbiss, President of Salisbury State Teachers College since 1955, has announced that he will retire at the end of this year. Devilbiss began his career in education as a teacher in Mardela Springs. He later received promotions that saw him serve as a high school principal, state supervisor of high schools and state supervisor of higher education. When he arrived at the college, the student population was 313 — today the college has 851 students.
As your community newspaper, we are committed to making Salisbury a better place. You can help support our mission by making a voluntary contribution to the newspaper.
Facebook Comment