Today In Salisbury’s History: Wednesday, March 19, 1997

Wednesday, March 19, 1997 —

–The war between protesters and developers is continuing most every day at the West Road Rubble Landfill. Last week, Wicomico Sheriff’s Deputies had to step in and drag out of the way several protesters who were blocking huge trucks from entering the facility. Meanwhile, County Attorney Ed Baker said the county would be presenting the property owners with a cease-and-desist order to prevent even more out-of-state rubble from being placed in Wicomico. The property’s owners are seeking a five-fold increase in the landfill’s size and are vowing to fight the county’s zoning rejection of the site.

–The Wicomico County Meal On Wheels program is missing something vital to its operation: its delivery van. The 1986 light blue Ford Aerostar used to deliver 50 hot meals each day to elderly county residents was stolen from a locked garage this week. Peggy Bradford, Executive Director of MAC Inc., said the van has little monetary value because it has been heavily used and has more than 100,000 miles on the odometer. She said it is valuable to MAC, however, because dozens of seniors rely on the regular food service support.

–The dome of the new Salisbury School is beginning to take shape on Hobbs Road east of Salisbury. Officials said the private school’s Upper School will open in September with between 24 and 40 9th-graders. A new grade will be added to the Upper School every year as the Class of 2001 advances toward graduation. Cement block walls are going up and a distinctive dome is expected to make the classroom building an architectural landmark. Tuition at the Upper School will be $5,656 annually.

–Wicomico County is making progress in race relations in its public schools, according to the Maryland Commission on Human Relations. Human Relations Liaisons added to the school system have helped, as well as as the addition of an in-school suspension program. The commission was asked to review the county’s race relations efforts after a forum held in 1995 drew a crowd of several hundred people who voiced concerns about county relations.

–The chairman of the Wicomico Youth & Civic Center Commission said he and his fellow commission members will resign en mass if they have no say in the selection and promotion of concerts and entertainment events proposed for the Salisbury arena. Chairman J.R. Lloyld sent a fax to his colleagues questioning whether the commission has a future, given the resignation of the Civic Center’s embattled director, Robert Wagner. The center was recently put back under the control of the Wicomico Parks & Recreation Department.

–Internal Revenue Service officials admitted they made an error in shutting down C. and P. Hardware, the 124-year business on North Salisbury Boulevard. Ten agents abruptly walked into the business this week, instructed customers to leave and told employees the business was being seized. A computer error led to the raid. Officials said that while the iconic hardware store does owe back taxes, they didn’t know the C. and P. Hardware had recently entered a federal bankruptcy agreement to reorganize debts and owed taxes.

–Longtime Salisbury businessman and former City Council member Sam Seidel and his wife, Marilyn, have given $1 million to endow a School of Education and Professional Studies to be named in their honor. The endowment of a school of education is the first-ever in Maryland’s university system and only the second in the entire nation. The Seidels received two thunderous ovations from a crowd of more than 200 people in a ceremony at the university’s Great Hall.

As your community newspaper, we are committed to making Salisbury a better place. You can help support our mission by making a voluntary contribution to the newspaper.