Today in Salisbury’s History: Monday, Dec. 3, 1956

  • A Salisbury storekeeper was arrested after leading Maryland State Police on a chase that ended when he crashed his car into a Shad Point gas Station. Phillip Huffington Banks, 26, of South Division Street Extended was released on $2,500 bond after he allegedly drove his sports car more than 100 mph. The chase began on Main Street in Fruitland and continued through Salisbury on Route 13, down College Avenue to Riverside Drive and south toward Shad Point. The car finally crashed into Edward Thomas Carey’s gas station at Cherry Hill Lane. Injured in the crash was Robert Wayne Messick, 17, a passenger in Banks’ car.
  •  Loose corn spilled from a truck and left a trail on Salisbury Boulevard from Fruitland all the way to the English Grill in Salisbury, completely covering the northbound lanes in various spots. Salisbury Police Chief William J. Chatham remarked: “If corn would grow out of concrete, we would probably have a right nice crop along South Salisbury Boulevard next season.” City police finally stopped the truck at the S-Curve; the surprised driver estimated more than 100 bushels had fallen on the roadway.
  • C&P Telephone Co. announced new phone numbers for Wicomico residents. The first two numbers will now refer to the Central Office name followed by five numerals. Pioneer is the name that was selected for the Salisbury office, so all Salisbury numbers will begin with PI or 7-4. Sharptown is TUrner; Willards is TEmple; Delmar, Md., is TWining; Delmar, Del., is VIctoria; Nanticoke is TRinity. The new system is needed to increase the potential of available numbers.
  •  A 7-year-old polio victim from Delmar, Patricia Thomas, was the first child to visit Santa Claus this Christmas season in Downtown Salisbury. The girl received a new hip brace on Saturday, which allowed her to walk into Santa’s gingerbread house set up on the Wicomico Courthouse lawn.
  •  After 10 seasons of trying, Mrs. Alice Smith of South Division Street finally bagged her first deer, 1 149-pound buck that she shot in the Pocomoke Forest. She made the kill in two shots, said her husband, Claude “Snuffy” Smith, a Salisbury city patrolman. State officials said 214 deer were killed on the Lower Shore in the first two days of the 1956 deer season.
As your community newspaper, we are committed to making Salisbury a better place. You can help support our mission by making a voluntary contribution to the newspaper.
Facebook Comment