Today In Salisbury’s History: Thursday, May 11, 1978

Thursday, May 11, 1978 —

  • Preparations are under way for Saturday’s big Newtown Festival. Poplar Hill Mansion was to be the scene for most of the arts and crafts events. This year a huge parade is planned. The Wi-Hi Band is scheduled to proceed through the streets, accompanied by local dignitaries. A special car was scheduled to stop at the Park Avenue home of Mayor Elmer Ruark, so the city’s leading and man and first lady could ride in the parade.
  • Nathaniel Benjamin Appleby, 18, was to stand trial for the murder of Salisbury cab driver Charles E. Adkins, 49. Adkins was found shot to death Dec. 23 on East Road. Appleby’s public defender is Salisbury attorney Bob Eaton; the prosecutor will be State’s Attorney Richard Warren.
  • Some 41 cases of outdated or “skunked” beer were stolen Wednesday night from the Carey Distributors Terminal Warehouse on Brown Street. A spokeswoman at Carey said the beer was going to be dumped because it was well beyond its consumption date.
  • Peninsula General Hospital opened its new employee cafeteria in the newly completed section of the expanded medical center. The cafeteria will accommodate 170 diners. Officials believe it to be the finest in-house dining facility for employees at any business on the Shore. The restaurant and food service will be managed by Marriott Corp.
  • Roy Perdue, a Peabody Conservatory of Music graduate, will direct the Community Players’ new production, “Bells Are Ringing.” Perdue has selected 13 performers to for the upcoming show dates at Wicomico Senior High School Auditorium.
  • Larry Heidt, David Grise and Jerry LeCates combined to stop winless Mardela High School on one hit as Wi-Hi regained possession of first-place in the Bayside Conference Southern Division by blasting the Warriors, 9-0.
As your community newspaper, we are committed to making Salisbury a better place. You can help support our mission by making a voluntary contribution to the newspaper.
Facebook Comment