Injured city firefighter continues to recover

A teen-age Salisbury firefighter, whose name the city refused to release or confirm, is recovering at Maryland Shock Trauma after being run over by a fire truck last weekend.

The former cadet and now volunteer firefighter and EMT for the city of Salisbury accidentally fell from the truck Sunday, suffering injuries to his arm, ear and temple.

He was reportedly riding on the front of the while placing blue reflective markers on the road last Sunday afternoon. The markers are used to indicate the location of fire hydrants, so emergency vehicles can quickly find them.

Reportedly, a broom he was holding close to the roadway got caught and pulled him off the truck, which went over him.

Mayor Jake Day quickly learned of the incident and went with the victim and his family to Shock Trauma. Day said the name was being withheld, due to the family’s request for complete privacy.

“We remain in prayer that his recovery is quick,” Day said.

“We are grateful for everyone who responded. The driver rendered immediate care.  His buddy rendered immediate care, as did the paramedics. They kept him from worrying too much. He never lost consciousness,” Day told the Salisbury Independent.

The mayor said the victim’s condition had improved and he was alert and talking to friends and family.

“(This) firefighter/EMT has been serving with the Salisbury Fire Department as a cadet for approximately four years and recently became a full volunteer member. During the accident, he was briefly pulled under a fire engine. He remained conscious with good vital signs. He experienced no internal injuries. Thankfully, the quick reaction of firefighters next to him, driving, as well as off-duty firefighters within eyesight of the scene, prevented more severe injuries,” Day said.

He called the teenager “an incredible asset to our department.”

After the accident, the young man was flown by Maryland State Police Trooper 4 airlift to the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore.

A Facebook post by the Salisbury Fire Department Station 16 stated three fire department members were working on the reflector project when the incident occurred.

The victim came out of surgery around 11 p.m. Sunday “doing well and with positive results from the great team of surgeons at Shock Trauma,” according to the post.

“He still has a long road to follow home, but he will travel it with his loving family by his side … every little prayer carries large power of healing and comfort,” it states.






As your community newspaper, we are committed to making Salisbury a better place. You can help support our mission by making a voluntary contribution to the newspaper.
Facebook Comment